Library Named in Honor of Lenin

The Russian State Library (RSL) is a scientific and educational center in the area of bibliology, library and bibliography science. There are over 275 km of bookshelves in the Library with a unique collection of both domestic and foreign documents in 367 languages. Its book fund consists of over 45 million pieces. In addition to books, the library stores specialized collections of maps, sound recordings, music, rare books, dissertations, newspapers, and other types of publications. A visitor of the library can become any student of a University who has attained 18 years of age and a citizen of Russia or any other country. The daily influx of new readers is about 200 people. Every day about 4000 readers visit the RSL building itself, and additionally more than 8,000 others who use virtual reading rooms located in 80 cities of Russia and CIS countries. For over one hundred years various people have used the Library fund ranging from students and ending with foreigners and academics. With frequent regularly the Library hosts educational and awareness campaign (readers’ conferences, presentations of newly released books, concerts and other events), with the participation of writers, scholars, artists, and artists.

History: The history of the RSL has its origins long before the founding of the library, and not in Moscow, but in the capital at that time, St. Petersburg. In the year 1828 Tsar Nicholas 1 signed a decree establishing the Rumyantsev Museum, based on the private collection of the Count and diplomat N. Rumyantsev. Oddly enough, but this museum in "the northern capital" was not very popular. Fortunately, one of the visitors was Tsar Alexander II, by whose order the museum was transferred from the spoilt public capital to Moscow. Thus in 1862 was founded a “Moscow Public Museum and Rumiantsev Museum”, housed in the Pashkova House. The appearance of the library in Moscow was a great success for Muscovites since it was problematic to periodically travel to St.

Petersburg for the latest achievements of science, culture and education. The decree signed by Alexander II prescribed funds throughout the territory of the Empire to print products, and by 1917 approximately 6 times more than the previous --1.2 million units of storage existed in the library. Over time, seeking to nurture intellectuals to the new order, the Bolsheviks assessed the diverse and rich heritage in a positive light. Art objects and paintings were donated to museums and galleries, and in 1925 Rumyantsev-based funds organized the Public Library of the USSR named after V. I. Lenin. However, during the development of the city metro in 1930 when building one of the first lines in the metro the library's foundation sank. Then they drafted plans to build the current library.

The construction of the main building, an example of the classic image of Stalinist architecture, started in 1930, but was only completed after 30 years. The storage rooms were designed to withstand a direct bomb hit, which allowed the library to operate normally even during WW II. In 2007 the long-awaited restoration of Pashkov House was finally completed. It is lined with archives departments in accordance with modern library standards. In 2015 it is planned to start construction of the new library building with larger reading rooms and equipment with a modern twist. In spite of all the vicissitudes of history, the RSL is the same "Temple of Science", which it has been for many generations. With each passing day, it becomes more convenient and more modern, but keeps the old atmosphere and spirit to facilitate intellectual search, where in the reading rooms still reigns the same active silence, accompanied by the sounds of millions of pages.

The Russian State Library maintains a constant relationship with foreign libraries and professional organizations of international format, through which information is exchanged with other libraries of the CIS countries in order to preserve a common range of an informational and cultural nature. The library door is open six days a week, Sunday is a day off and the last Monday of the month is cleaning day.